Monday 11 May 2015

Degree Show proposal of plans.

          A key element involved in my works is that of spatial representation, and through the entire making process it has become important that they interact with the spaces they are displayed in. Some pieces have gone through certain procedures that involve them interacting with spaces, then stretched back to their original state, leaving a trace of previous happenings. Others are specifically made to intermingle with rooms, such as corners of rooms etc. The specific folding method has allowed these works to be manipulated and stretched to blend with areas around them.

  With this in mind, I have not got a specific plan on paper of what I want my degree show to look like. I feel that keeping an open mind will allow my works to perform to their full advantage by naturally working in the spaces they are placed in. Certain pieces change every time they are displayed in different places, so imagining exactly what they will look like seems irrelevant to me. Having said this, I have some drawings of what I would imagine it to look like, if I was given a space of my choice. It may also be an option for my works to change on a daily basis, interacting with the area in different ways everyday.


  A large open space is probably most desirable to me, as I’m sure it is for most students with large paintings. As I have a final piece that I am considering scrunched up into a corner, it means it is a very bold piece that needs space around it to work effectively as it might overpower a more discreet painting alongside it. This piece can also be suspended from the ceiling and hang in the middle of the room. 


  With all this in mind, a smaller space could also be effective, with works physically taking up a large amount of the space, dominating and filling it.


No comments:

Post a Comment